This Report covers full-time vacancy recruitment data for the period August 1, 2011- July 31, 2012.
1. Employment Unit: Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. and Global Jazz, Inc.
2. Unit Stations and Communities of License:
KKGO (FM) - Los Angeles, CA KMZT (AM) - Los Angeles, CA KKJZ (FM) - Long Beach, CA
3. EEO Contact Information for Unit Stations:
1500 Cotner Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Telephone Number: (310) 478-5540, ex. 226
Contact Person/Title Denise Maynard - Public Affairs Director & Special Projects Manager
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Full-Time Job Vacancies filled by each station in the Employment Unit.
No full time positions were filled during the period from August 1, 2011 - July 31, 2012.
Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. is licensee of stations KKGO-FM and KMZT-AM. The principals of Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. control Global Jazz , Inc., which provides programming and supporting services for the California State University, Long Beach Foundation for the benefit of KKJZ-FM. Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. and Global Jazz, Inc. (the “Companies”) are committed to broad and inclusive outreach for hiring full-time employees, affording equal opportunity to all qualified persons and refraining from discrimination on the basis of race, color, citizenship, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, gender, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care status, veteran status, marital status, registered domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender orientation, gender identification, genetic characteristics, or any other characteristic protected by law. As required by Section 73.2080 of the Commission’s Rules, the Companies have participated in several different recruitment activities to ensure broad outreach.
Statement of Supplemental EEO Outreach Activities:
1. Global Jazz, Inc. maintains an intern program designed to assist college students with acquiring skills needed for broadcast employment. The program allows interns to gain hands-on experience in various aspects of broadcast operations so that they may develop their skills for future broadcast employment. The interns are afforded the opportunity to work in many departments with experienced station personnel so as to gain a broad overview of the nature of the station’s varied operations. During the period of August 1, 2011 - July 31, 2012, Global Jazz, Inc. has had many interns participating in the program. All of the university students participating in our intern program are in various stages of college studies.
2. The Southern California Broadcasters Association Scholarship Fund, managed by the California Community Foundation, awards three scholarships annually in the field of Radio Broadcast Communications. Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. personnel have been involved from its inception and through the period of August 1, 2011 - July 31, 2012, including its organization, assessments, vesting, voting on scholarship recipients, and helping to determine the form of outreach to be used each year. During the period of August 1, 2011 - July 31, 2012, Mt. Wilson Broadcasters, Inc. contributed to the fund.
3. Global Jazz, Inc. provides four scholarships to CSULB students for continuing their education in Jazz studies.
4. On August 11, 2011, Denise Maynard, Public Service Director & Special Projects Manager for Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. and Global Jazz, Inc., attended an EEO seminar sponsored by the CBA designed to train management level personnel as to methods of ensuring equal employment opportunity and preventing discrimination.
5. On August 17, 2011, Denise Maynard, Public Service Director & Special Projects Manager, attended the Los Angeles Annual Diversity Employment Day Career Fair and ran Public Service Announcements for the event on KKGO-FM from 8/10/11-8/12/11.
6. On September 14, 2011, Denise Maynard, Public Service Director & Special Projects Manager, attended Orange County’s 11th Annual Diversity Employment Day and ran Public Service Announcements for the event on KKGO-FM and KMZT-AM from 9/5/11-9/11/11.
7. During 2011/2012, Andrew Loyola, Production Manager for Global Jazz, Inc., conducted an average of 5 tours of KKJZ to Pathpoint (connecting People, Purpose and Communities) and discussed careers in radio to the disabled.
8. On November 9, 2011, Denise Maynard, Public Service Director & Special Projects Manager, attended the annual Public Service Media Workshop with a panelist of media experts that addressed their experience of working with community groups.
9. On December 27, 2011, Michael Cestaro, Sales Assistant for Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc., attended the SkillPath Seminar titled “The Social Media Marketing Conference.” The seminar discussed Digital Media, along with new tools and new ways to grow your business and how to define strategies and create plans.
10. On January 28, 2012, Denise Maynard, Public Service Director & Special Projects Manager, and Tonya Compos, Program Director, attended Alliance for Women in Media’s Annual Speed Mentoring event, which covered topics such as a mentor’s professional experience, job training requirements and other general career questions.
11. On February 13, 2012, Stephanie Levine, General Counsel for Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. and Global Jazz, Inc., attended an employment law seminar held at Bingham McCutchen in downtown Los Angeles. This seminar covered sexual harassment and discrimination among other topics.
12. On May 19, 2012, Helen Borgers, veteran on-air host for Global Jazz, Inc., attended a Career Fair at Will Rogers Middle School in Long Beach, CA. Borgers spoke to a group of 7th and 8th grade students about careers in broadcasting.
13. On June 19, 2012, Denise Maynard, Public Service Director & Special Projects Manager, and Michael Cestaro, Sales Assistant, attended the Business Expo in Long Beach, CA. Michael Cestaro trained on-site with Denise Maynard on prospecting for new business opportunities for digital media.
14. On July 18, 2012, Stephanie Levine, General Counsel, and Denise Maynard, Public Service Director & Special Projects Manager, conducted a meeting with Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. and Global Jazz, Inc. managers and supervisors regarding the Companies’ EEO practices and guidelines, including on employment outreach and to ensure that all employees are treated fairly and have an equal opportunity to advance in the Companies.
15. From August 1, 2011 - July 31, 2012, Mt. Wilson FM Broadcasters, Inc. and Global Jazz Inc. ran EEO announcements that stated the Companies are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers and are committed to broad and inclusive outreach for hiring full-time employees.